Skip to main content

Art of Storytelling


One day I was driving back home through a deserted road after a hectic day at office. It was already late in the night and except the head lamps of my car there is no other light source that is visible. I was cruising along at around the prescribed speed limit and suddenly my car started to make some unusual noise. This noise gradually increased and all of a sudden my car shuddered to a halt with a big bang. I switched on the hazard lights, pulled the lever to open the bonnet, jumped out of the car and opened the bonnet and as I am not very good at car mechanics couldn't find any obvious fault. I was feeling more resigned than frustrated and slowly closed the bonnet. When I looked around I realised that I was in the middle of no-where and my car's hazard lights are the only lights I could see. I quickly pulled out my mobile, searched for the entry of car recovery company  in the contacts and dialled it. Immediately after dialling I heard 'No network coverage in your area'. My heart sank and I couldn't think of any other alternative. I looked at both sides of the road to see if there is any vehicle coming my way, but nothing came for the next half an house. After thinking through various options, including walking along the road until I find some help, I decided that none of them are safe. So finally decided to stay in my car for the rest of the night and find some help in the morning. So I got back into my car, closed the door, pulled back my seat and started to relax and suddenly I saw something strange racing my way...

And the story continues. This is my attempt at describing a small incident. After reading the above paragraph it should be pretty obvious that I don't possess the great art of storytelling. But if my parents or grandparents narrated the same story it would have been very interesting and gripping to read with lot more detail.

In this age where people prefer to watch videos or animations rather than reading an article it is not hard to understand the reason why the art of storytelling is dying at such a fast pace. Sadly I can’t say that this is wrong for humankind. In the process of evolution humans lost various skills which are once thought to be essential and acquire new skills. In the same way we are in the process of losing the skill of storytelling. I am afraid that the future of storytelling isn’t looking very bright. I can only hope that this is just another step in human evolution and it is for the sake of good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is caste system really bad?

Most of us, if not all of us, have said at some point that caste system should end for the good of society. I don’t actually disagree with that and until recently I am a strong supporter of that idea. But after some thinking during recent weeks I started to have second thoughts about it. Castes in the region I come from are mainly formed on the basis of their profession. Like priests are Brahmins, Gold smiths are Kamsali, Carpenters are Vadrangi and so on. This isn’t true for all castes but it can be fairly generalised. And in the days they are formed these professions are hereditary. So, this way of grouping similar profession people into a caste makes a lot of sense and in fact is very beneficial in providing unity and provides a platform to exchange new ideas and improve the professions. If the caste system remained to just grouping people from similar professionals it would have never gone into the troubled waters as it is now. Caste system has become unpopular because of so

Development Process

I worked in different roles for different companies and in each role there was some talk about reviewing and optimizing development process as it was thought that the current process is either too laborious or too simplistic, yes too simplistic processes aren’t too good either. You might think that simple process is the way to go but not always. Let me explain. If the team is working on a green field project, the development team is aware of the business domain, are technically capable of producing good code and detailed coding standards are defined at team or company level then simple process of [design-> develop->test->deploy] will work. But if this team has been working on this project for some time say 6 months and a new developer joins the team then this simple process will start to fail. By the time this developer joins the team there is already some code in place that is developed to certain standard and this developer doesn’t have any knowledge of the application tha

Various ways to react to a mistake

When a person makes a mistake it is fascinating to see how they respond. Based on the situation and nature of the person who makes the mistake there are various ways one can react. I tried to broadly divide the reactions into following 7 categories: No I didn't make a mistake – I never do any!  This is the kind of response we give when we don’t want to agrees to the mistakes we do. Even the mistakes of worst nature i.e. blunders would not deter us from self-protection. This behaviour could be because the person really believes that it isn't their mistake or it could be that the person knows it but isn't brave enough to accept the mistake.  The problem with this behaviour is that the person doesn't learn from the mistakes and keep making them again and again.   It’s not my mistake, I did it because... Most of us use this in scenarios where we try to find excuses for our short comings. The hard core section of this group of people try to find a reason and believe